No alarms and no surprises, please.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Two Great products that work great together.


Remember those Reese's Peanut Butter Cup commercials? "You got peanut butter on my chocolate!" "You got chocolate in my peanut butter!" I loved those commercials.

Well, now I am having a techie deja vu from those days. Instead of PB and chocolate, this time it's TiVo and iPod. "You got TiVo on my iPod".

What am I talking about? Jack Bauer is on my iPod and he's fucking up terrorists, baby! How did he get in there? Did I pay $1.99? Nope, I TiVo'd him.

See, TiVo, unlike your cable/dish DVRs, supports a feature called "TiVoToGo". This allows you to take your TiVo'd shows (which are in MPEG-2 format with a binary TiVo header and a .tivo extension) off your TiVo settop box and put them on your PC. You can see where this could be handy if you are a business traveler, for example. In addition, a 25 dollar upgrade to that software will enable features that transcode this to different formats that are playable on other portable devices such as a Sony PSP or, yes, iPod. That's pretty damn cool and that's how I got Jack Bauer on my iPod. Try that, cable bitches!

My buddy Toast says, "I don't like watching TV on my iPod". This is, of course, a valid complaint. Going from today's monster screens to 2.5" is tough. Maybe on a long flight? Dunno. The true value, IMHO, is in this little guy.

A video cable for the iPod - twenty bucks. Hook this little doodad to your iPod's headphone jack and the other three ends to a TV, and voila! Mobile TiVo. That, my friends, is truly badass.