No alarms and no surprises, please.

Friday, May 04, 2007

Movie Review - Spiderman 3

See, here's the thing. I had already decided to take the day off for the sake of my mental state, I had dropped my kids at day care and had a nice fresh Dunkin Donuts Hazelnut in my hand. It was 8:45. Did you know that they have 9:15AM shows of Spiderman? Me neither until yesterday. I must also say that I dressed up as Spiderman for halloween several times and when I was a kid, had memorized 100 issues of his comics.

All this blather is my way of rationalizing being one of the few people geeky enough to have seen this movie by lunch time today. I am truly ashamed.

It was..... good?

I so wanted to love this movie. I drank up the hype for 1 and 2 and loved the movies just the same when they came out. I wanted this one to take it's rightful place a one of the three greatest superhero movies ever (1 and 2 being the other two). It doesn't.

In the end, they simply bit off more than they could chew in one movie. They packed too many story arcs and didn't do any of them justice in the breakneck-paced 140 minutes. I wonder if the Venom storyline makes any sense to someone who's unfamiliar with it? It barely made sense to me. There are simply so many moving parts, albeit visually stunning moving parts, that the movie is more of a blur before your eyes than the roller coaster ride it should be.

And one beef. Wussy Emo haircut and eyeliner for Peter Parker? Just terrible. One good tidbit. Best role for Bruce Cambpell yet in a Spiderman movie.

Overall, it is still freakin' Spiderman. And Spiderman movie is like sex. Even poorly executed with confusing twists and turns and a somewhat disappointing finale, it's worth 3.5 couches.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 possible couches.