No alarms and no surprises, please.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Do you know what is a weird day?

The first day your daughter accidentally calls you "Dave", "Dave" being the name of your future ex-wife's boyfriend.

That's a weird day. It's a little thing - an honest mistake by a 5 year old more concerned about the flower she's drawing than who is handing her the glass of juice she asked for so politely. "Thanks, Dave- oops! I mean Daddy!. Isn't that funny Daddy? I almost called you Dave!" Yeah, it's funny alright.

It sticks with you. It's something you think about as you go to sleep that night and is still lurking in the back of your mind when you wake up the next morning.

That day was yesterday for me. I'm pleased to report that today she remembered my name right off the bat. "Good Morning Daddy!" It was a relief. I'll hope to continue to be relieved every time she calls me "Daddy" for at least a while.